Design principles
According to the Chef Home Page, the design principles for Chef are:
- Program recipes should not only generate valid output, but be easy to prepare and delicious.
- Recipes may appeal to cooks with different budgets.
- Recipes will be metric, but may use traditional cooking measures such as cups and tablespoons.
 Hello, world! in Chef
David Morgan-Mar wrote the example program Hello World Souffle; it does generate valid output, however falls short of the design goals of being "easy to prepare and delicious". Later, Mike Worth wrote a hello world program that can be followed as a functional (if slightly odd) recipe for a chocolate cake:
Hello World Cake with Chocolate sauce. This prints hello world, while being tastier than Hello World Souffle. The main chef makes a " world!" cake, which he puts in the baking dish. When he gets the sous chef to make the "Hello" chocolate sauce, it gets put into the baking dish and then the whole thing is printed when he refrigerates the sauce. When actually cooking, I'm interpreting the chocolate sauce baking dish to be separate from the cake one and Liquify to mean either melt or blend depending on context. Ingredients. 33 g chocolate chips 100 g butter 54 ml double cream 2 pinches baking powder 114 g sugar 111 ml beaten eggs 119 g flour 32 g cocoa powder 0 g cake mixture Cooking time: 25 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Method. Put chocolate chips into the mixing bowl. Put butter into the mixing bowl. Put sugar into the mixing bowl. Put beaten eggs into the mixing bowl. Put flour into the mixing bowl. Put baking powder into the mixing bowl. Put cocoa powder into the mixing bowl. Stir the mixing bowl for 1 minute. Combine double cream into the mixing bowl. Stir the mixing bowl for 4 minutes. Liquify the contents of the mixing bowl. Pour contents of the mixing bowl into the baking dish. bake the cake mixture. Wait until baked. Serve with chocolate sauce. chocolate sauce. Ingredients. 111 g sugar 108 ml hot water 108 ml heated double cream 101 g dark chocolate 72 g milk chocolate Method. Clean the mixing bowl. Put sugar into the mixing bowl. Put hot water into the mixing bowl. Put heated double cream into the mixing bowl. dissolve the sugar. agitate the sugar until dissolved. Liquify the dark chocolate. Put dark chocolate into the mixing bowl. Liquify the milk chocolate. Put milk chocolate into the mixing bowl. Liquify contents of the mixing bowl. Pour contents of the mixing bowl into the baking dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
 External resources
- Chef Home Page
- Perl interpreter - Note: is not completely in accordance with the specification.
- Python interpreter (from the Wayback Machine; retrieved on 14 August 2007) - In development, does not support the stir instruction and has some bugs related to loops. No error handling yet.
- Hello world cake with chocolate sauce More details of actually cooking this as a recipe.