This forum is closed to new posts due to low activity and a deluge of spam. It is kept online as a static historical record. If you want to read about or discuss esoteric programming languages, the Esolang wiki is the place to go. An archive of the forum is available.

JumpFuck (4)

1 Name: ehird : 2007-07-11 09:39 ID:Hh3ELFT5

Before I implement this:

(me and bsmntbombdood scratched out the initial spec on IRC a few days ago.)

Normal Brainfuck, with unbounded cell size and automatically-growing tape, but with two new commands:

& Replace the continuation whose ID is in the current cell with the current continuation, and change the current cell to 0 if we come from & or the argument if we come from %.
% Call the continuation whose ID is in the current cell, using the next cell as an argument.

This allows for closures, procedures, gotos, and of course just plain continuations.

Any suggestions?

2 Name: ehird : 2007-07-11 09:43 ID:Hh3ELFT5

(This variation is mainly intended to make things easier when compiling to Brainfuck.)

3 Name: Tritonio : 2007-08-15 17:26 ID:Trcc9OU+

I don't get it. What's a continuation?

4 Name: RatFucker!!zuL1K2Ii : 2007-10-26 05:12 ID:pWMdroXI

>>3
It's where one continues from a previous place in a program. Imagine a goto statement for which you didn't have to define labels at compile and could instead create them on the fly, essentially creating a reference to the current stack frame, and pass them around as first-class objects. For example, if one is computing Fibonacci numbers, one may have a function wherein lies a loop which steps through all the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence, but for each step in the iteration it returns a value and a continuation object, so that each time we call the function it continues from where it was last.

Name: Link:
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
More options...
Verification: